Sunday 14 April 2019

Israel

What a silly Isy
I suspect that not many of my readers in the northern hemisphere are aware of Israel Folau. Down here in the Antipodes, Israel, is somewhat a celeb especially in Australia. Mr Folau plays rugby for the ‘NSW Waratahs’ and is apparently rather good. Consequently, for chucking a funny shaped ball down a muddy field he gets squiddles of lovely, cash. Well, he did until he got the sack. Did  Waratahs' finest rage rampant down Brisbane high street in a drunken stupour assaulting passersby and smearing their still vibrant blood across shop front windows? Did poor Israel eat a live ferret on live tele while defecating on the Australian flag? No, Mr Folau did not engage in the aforementioned activities. However, he did post on Instagram. The following image appeared together with a disjointed comment and quotes from the Bible.

A quick look at the list makes me realise that none shall be spared. Mr Folau is festooned with tattoos. I’m sure there is an injunction somewhere in the ‘good book’ about the desecration of God’s living temple. What about the bit about casting the first ferret?     

The ‘fallout’ was not slow in coming and the airways were incandescent with indignation. The Australian rugby associations were a tad slow in their condemnation (Israel is rather good at rugby)  until prodded by an SJW stick……. And so, eventually, Rugby Australia and the NSW Rugby Union announced: “Whilst Israel is entitled to his religious beliefs, the way in which he has expressed these beliefs is inconsistent with the values of the sport. We want to make it clear that he does not speak for the game with his recent social media posts. We have made it clear to Israel formally and repeatedly that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action — in the absence of compelling mitigating factors, it’s our intention to terminate his contract.”

Bugger! I bet this ex-rugby player must be kicking his own arse mightily with both legs and with gusto. His rant has cost him a lucrative contract and it is doubtful that he will be re-employed, soon. Perhaps when the dust dies down?

It is my contention that Mr Folau has been ‘guilty’ of stupidity and gross fuckwittedness of the first order. But what do expect when part of your job description requires you to be bashed repeatably about the head by other large men. The whole process is not conducive to concentrated mental thought. Tis a wonder he can tie up his own rugby boots. That said, Mr Folau has committed no crime and he is entitled to express his opinion as befits a society proud of its freedom of speech. Now, I’m of the opinion that Israel’s comments were rather stupid considering the likely adverse impact on his income following the predictable indignation from the vocal ‘snowflake’ brigade. His comments were also rather silly from the perspective of intrinsic merit. But he should have a public platform to state his inane bollocks without losing his job.  

Shame on the Australian rugby authorities for pandering to this strident minority ‘voice’.

The story was picked up by an ‘Athiest Commentator’. He was of the opinion that Mr Folau was rightly sacked. I placed a polite comment in dissent. Strangely, my comment seemed to disappear into the aether. Fearing the worst I followed up with: “Oops my comment has disappeared. I'm hoping this was an admin glitch and not due to my comment disagreeing with the author and general 'thrust' of the comments here. Anyway, I stated that Israel should not have been sacked for his meanderings. He said nothing illegal and, although I think his comments misguided, they fall under the banner of free speech. I think to sack Israel is pandering to an SJW agenda which seems hellbent on closing down opinion and debate, not in tune with its narrow viewpoint. As atheists, all we have to agree upon is a lack of belief in supernatural deities- nothing else, and why should we?   

It will be intriguing to see if my comment remains upstanding.

Update: my original comment has mysteriously returned and my second comment has also been published and has flourished. Whoopy do………….Free speech has been sustained (nay, nourished) and vindicated with veritable aplomb. Arse.  

     




12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we in the northern hemisphere are very aware of Israel Folau AND a bloody good rugby player he is too.
    As a devout atheist your comments...
    "It is my contention that Mr Folau has been ‘guilty’ of stupidity and gross fuckwittedness of the first order... That said, Mr Falau has committed no crime and he is entitled to express his opinion as befits a society proud of its freedom of speech.... But he should have a public platform to state his inane bollocks without losing his job."
    ... is more succinct than I could have put it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see Mr G, I'm not a follower of rugby. In fact I was ignorant concerning Mr Folau until this drama hit the scene. Me bad.

      Delete
    2. Just noticed I didn't even manage to spell his name correctly.

      Delete
    3. I've been naïve to think that the northern hemisphere is ignorant of Mr Folau's rugby antics. His fame transcends the globe and he bestrides the world as a rugby colossus. I must apologise to Mr Folau for spelling his name incorrectly. I have rectified my mistake.
      fied


      Delete
  2. Perhaps if he'd been fond of Alan's Snack bar the outcome would've been different? As you point out, he's most certainly stupid enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayhap, if he 'dined' at Alans all would be good with the world and he would be showered with halal sweetmeats. I'm off to burn stuff.

      Delete
  3. If Israel was a follower of the "religion of peace" would he have received the same response? I think we all know what the answer would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Sargent, the answer would be different.

      Delete
  4. Where are all the SJWs standing up for the other groups on Mr. Folau's list? Presumably they and the authorities are perfectly happy with drunks, thieves, fornicators etc. being destined for the eternal fires. Fair do's.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point was that none of us can live up to these standards. I'm already doomed as an atheist. I've also committed 6 0f the other transgressions on the list, but I'm not telling which.

      Delete
    2. Since you have Black Country blood coursing through your veins, I read between the lines and know that of which you are guilty. Probably very, very guilty.

      A propos of nothing, in my formative years (some 55+ summers ago), I was sent to an all-male boarding school in darkest Shropsire. There, there was a certain clique amongst whom rugby and homosexuality were almost encouraged - and sometimes simultaneous!

      Delete
    3. Ted, I'm hoping you are not insinkerating what I think you are inculcating. We at Tipton Secondary Modern (go the baggies!), before it was extinguished by flames, only indulged in activities involving the fillies (the school was next to the riding school) and mostly behind the bike shed at that. At Tipton we did not indulge in rugby. We had to make do with undoing the bolts on the splint of the kid with Polio and selling them for scrap.

      Delete