Wednesday 10 February 2021

Parish Notice II

 

                                                     Hurry up, Coronation street is on at 8 

Hello folks, I've not posted for three weeks due to medical issues. Old age is no fun especially as I'm only 18 days from 65. At least I'm eligible for the Kiwi pension. I'm still working at my old lab two days a week and have extended my contract for a further 3 months. Once I've competed my stint I'm calling it a day. 'Work no more Flaxen tis time to fully enjoy retirement and commit to tending the estate'. I'm not a natural when it comes to gardening but I'm starting to enjoy the relaxing pleasure of planting trees and shrubs, various. The veggie patches need a clearing and crops a sowing.

It seems the the elder gods have finally decided to punish me for my sins and hubris. I confess that I'm rightly condemned as my life has been full and I've sampled the delights of the flesh with wanton abandon. Nothing has been denied to my carnal pleasure. I have truly lived the life of ten men. My life is closing fast and sweet oblivion beckons. Fear not death; fear life that lives no more. When my time cometh and 'death' himself extends his bony hand I will leap into his cold embrace and happily cross the Styx (must make sure I've got gelt for Charon). The funeral pyre awaits.

But Woden speaks: 'Let it wait a while longer. The embers of the faggot glows dim. Your time is not yet Flaxen. There is much that you will achieve at my bidding".........          

Anyway, enough of this bollocks. It seems in addition to my rampant arthritis I've developed rampant high blood pressure (hypertension). Bugger! As my blood pressure was measured thusly: 157/127 I've entered what the medical profession calls the 'death zone'. I was immediately prescribed the quaintly named drug: Candestarten cilexetil- verily trips of the tongue (8mg daily). O deep joy. The practical upshot is that my impending foot surgery has been cancelled and I'm orf the waiting list. My left big toe can rest assured that cartilage scraping and pin fusion will have to wait, a while. Arse.    

The dearth of posts is at an end. I've several completed posts and even more 'work in progress' awaiting a final burnish. Tomorrow's post is titled '1916' and explores the strategic dilemma both sides had to contemplate at a critical stage of the war. 








 

7 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy. I too have high blood pressure and am on 3 meds.Watch out for the side effects,a persistent cough and insomnia. I have just been taken off Candesartan and have been given another one which is diuretic. Oh the joys of getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Sir. One year ago I didn't take a single pill- now I take a veritable cocktail. I'll watch out for side effects. I'm usually okay with meds- but let's wait and see.

      Delete
  2. Shame it's not 19 days to your birthday, as then you'd be a mere 16 or 17.
    Take care of the old frame - bits start to fall off after 65!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrgh! I used the post date = make that 17 days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BP at 157? Fuck me Flaxen - you're not trying!
    For Mrs D 157 would be a target she would proud to hit as she is regularly over 200 without meds (Lisinoprine and Lercanidipine 20mg of each). You clearly need to reduce your stress levels. Suggest you and Mrs Flaxen turn into hermits and you concentrate on your small holding...

    Yes, old age is a bugger. I have developed acute Willis-Exbom Disease (restless leg syndrome to you and me) which causes spasms in my right leg which when really in full flow has been known to jerk my whole body so badly that I have been known to lose contact with the floor!

    Apparently blood tests reveal that I have iron and calcium deficiencies so I'm on meds for those plus 300mg of gabapentin every 3-4 hours. That's an anti epilepsy drugs that suppresses the spasms. They're also investigating the cause of the deficiency. Worse case (unlikely) is cancer somewhere in my digestive system.

    Frankly it's a miracle I'm still here at all. But all this on top of Covid has prompted me to document my somewhat complex financial affairs for my next of kin. OK. Call me a morbid bastard. Guilty as charged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Increased my bp meds and added a diuretic. My bp is coming down but still reasonably high. Had an MRI yesterday to investigate pain in my neck- O deep joy. Yea stress has a part to play due to social probs (daughter +fruits etc). Good luck with your investigations, rest leg syndrome doesn't sound good.

      Delete