Monday 28 February 2022

It's my Birthday

 

                                                               Still a twat

Today, marks my 66th year upon this earth, with all the bounty and evil which is associated with a relatively long life. Wisdom, they say, comes with age. Although I've known a few old buggers where wisdom has passed them by leaving them bereft and hanging about in intellectual limbo- mercifully they don't realise their painful and depressing predicament. Yes, I know, I'm starting to sound elitist, once again. Tis a flaw that I bear with a modicum of aplomb.

With the passing of the years, I'm starting to contemplate my own mortality. Death, as a concept does not trouble me too much. All living things, die; tis inevitable. Some folk think they can delay, the inevitable. Healthy living with a balanced diet is a plan for many, although luck is something that no prudent planning can overcome. And indeed, genes for ill or good is oft underestimated when it comes to our overall health. Also as we age our health declines. Within the past 5 years, there has been a significant decline in my health. Five years ago I was out running the streets and my medication intake was zero. Today, I'm taking two separate meds for hypertension and I'm reliant and addicted to strong pain killers.

I'll enjoy a quiet day ensconced in my shed. The bow I've been working on for the past six months is coming to completion. Tis a longbow constructed out of compressed Moso bamboo- I have high hopes for this bow and hopefully, it will draw about 45lbs at 28 inches. It is of simple and primitive construction without frills and frippery. Tonight, my wife, daughter, her partner and two fruits will join me for dinner at the local pub. A simple repast with a couple of decent pints of English Ale. Number one son will join us at the weekend and no doubt he'll treat his aged father to a couple of pints. Simple pleasures for a simple man.

COVID has finally caught up with our 'isolated' island home. Although New Zealand managed to stay disease-free for a relatively long time, it was only a matter of time before we succumbed. According to today's news just over 15,000 new cases have been reported over the past 24 hours. As expected we are experiencing a rapid rise in new infections, from the 1,500 recorded at the start of the month. It appears the government have learned a few lessons from others and we will not be entering any form of severe lockdown. Ongoing measures will be sensible and non-restrictive. As for the rest of the news, I will comment, no more........... 




                                                         ARSE AKIMBO










   

          

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm a little ahead of you in the stroll toward oblivion but have found some consoling thoughts for the remainder of the journey. The first is that if you have got so far on an uninformed boomer diet then the value of consuming kale smoothies and fat free vegetarian sausages is minimal. You want to live another week or so... at what cost?

    Secondly if you manage to reduce your risk of (for example) getting cancer through 'good living' that means your chance of dying of something else (heart attack for example) must increase. And in the end there will be no choice.

    None of the above means you shouldn't lose weigh or eat more healthily if you wish to - but do so to improve your quality of life, right here, right now.

    I'll put my soapbox away. It's the one with a hand rail and Rolling Stones decals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man! Live your life as you see fit and ignore any government 'directions'.

      Delete
    2. Happy Birthday, youngster (I'm in my 73rd year). I couldn't agree more - ALL governments are cerebrally-challenged tossers, and I have no intention of undergoing utter misery for the chance of a few years in a wheelchair with someone to wipe up my dribble.

      Delete
    3. Hello Ted, how have you been. I've missed your acerbic reflections. Come back to the fold you daft old sausage.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! You're 20 years older than me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday.
    And may you be able to draw your bow by the time it is finished.
    Re. dick endowment. Console yourself with the knowledge that the only men (I am skating on thin ice there) who know that they are phallicaly challenged are those that go peeping at others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr D. Hopefully 45lbs is within my capabilities. Sadly, my old English longbow, at 66lbs is beyond my powers these days.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday

    Re dicks - I used to think mine was undersized, but then someone pointed out I have very large hands! It looks much better in a smaller female grip, ho ho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. As for penal size- who cares. We are all given a size and contrary to the adverts, there is not a lot we can do about it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Flax,
    Happy Birthday - Rock´n Roll!!!
    I had mine on Febr. 21st - so we are same aged and seemingly same way thinking people.

    If it needed corona to melt away the last rest of europe´s ratio, it worked best in Moscow. Fuckin sick Mr Putin seems keen in to organize the end of civilization. Guess Zealand is one of the better places to sleep well those days. In case of your existence (in case of doubts, mind R. Descartes: "Im thinking, therefore I am! And man, you are thinking. By the way: ever seen the movie "existenz" by David Cronenberg? real good surrealistic/solipistic stuff) would you please answer me by e-mail. Will make conversation a bit easier. adress: abacuspictures@aol.com
    Meanwhile I´ve got some of the letters exchanged by Christine Ladd-Franklin and Bertie Russell in the early 20th century. There was more than the one, Russell mentioned it that anecdote. Should have been 12 or more and I have 7 of them - pretty delightening and easy to attach on a mail.
    Happy to hear from you - yours Josh
    "the 4th worldwar will be done with sticks and stones" A.Einstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh, Indeed we live in strange times Quite happy to commune by email. I'll send one soon. Keep well. As for the letters- sounds fascinating. Always reminded of the anecdote from Russell concerning Mrs Ladd-Franklin and solipsism- you have probably heard of it. Will be in touch.

      Delete
  6. Sorry matey. Been a bit wrapped up here bouncing around the house in various varieties of leg arm neck and body spasms.
    Off to Malta for a week and promise I'll be in touch soon. Hope you're keeping reasonably well for an old fart, although comparatively young compared to us.
    Play Chas' Happy Birthday song to cheer yourself up. It's bollocks but remember who wrote it...

    "May the candles on your cake
    Burn like cities in your wake"

    WTF was all that about anyway, you mad old scrote????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mate, will send a message soon. You and the missus look after yourselves and have a great holiday.

      Delete