Saturday 26 October 2024

Nature Always Finds a Way


First Photo: Eyes closed. Plumage At An Early Stage


Several weeks ago, as I was undertaking the unwholesome task of clearing out the house guttering, I chanced upon something rather engaging. As I glanced down from the ladder I spotted a black bird atop a nest.  This enterprising couple had decided to build their nest atop my external water heater. A slight digression is required: I mentioned 'couple' when I should have said 'male of the species'. For it is he who carefully and lovingly constructs the nest from random organic material. Once built, he hopes that the position of the nest and build quality are sufficient to attract a mate and, from then, raise a clutch of young fledglings. The position of the nest is vitally important. Usually, the male bird will look for a site within a tree. A prime location is desired, as the nest site influences eventual reproductive success, not only in the realm of nestling survival but also in attracting a mate in the first instance. Female blackbirds are fastidiously selective. In 'Nature' reproductive success is the ultimate metric to be satisfied in this world. A position within the canopy that is hidden from ariel predators such as hawks and other predatory birds is highly desired. Also, terrestrial predators need to be accounted for. In  New Zealand, this mainly refers to cats. While it is true that my adopted country is lacking in ground predatory species, it is introduced critters that small birds fear. NZ is not only overrun with rats, as I can attest, but also domestic and not-so-domestic feral felines. 

Atop my ladder I had the perfect spy position to observe the feathered interlopers. The adult bird had flown off and I could see three, perfectly still, babies. At this stage of development, they were lacking in feather protection and had huddled together. Their stillness is a protective mechanism with the hope that potential predators will pass them by. Anyway, I felt it prudent to discontinue the cleaning process as I did not want to overstress the young birds and parents.

I have to admit the adult birds had chosen a perfect spot to raise their young. The wall heater is protected by the eaves, which in our case are wide. Not only is the site protected from the elements, but it is also hidden from the ever-watchful hawk that parades our/his territory. In addition, the elevated position of the perch provides adequate protection from cats and rats. And finally, the nest is kept relatively warm by the wall heater on which it perches. Continual heat is generated by the pilot light and occasionally topped up with a burst of heat due to domestic use. This is crucial during New Zealand's early to mid-spring weather, especially in the Wairarapa, as we are prone to 'cold spells', which can be disastrous for fledglings. As a case in point. A few years back, blackbirds had made a nest on an elevated tree stump on my property. Its position, under the canopy of an adjacent gum tree, gave protection from hawks but would have been vulnerable to the local enterprising feline population. At the time, my daughter and her family were living with us, and I thought it would be a great project for my 10-year-old granddaughter to follow the nestling's development. Every day, we would take photos of the nest, and I would comment on how the birds were progressing. Not long into the project, we experienced a particularly cold snap, and sadly, the little birds succumbed. My granddaughter was obviously upset, and I was moved to explain a few cruel but inevitable facts of life and nature. 

A couple of weeks ago, Mrs Saxon suffered a medical emergency and was taken to the local hospital, where she remained for seven days. Obviously, during this time, I became distracted and stopped monitoring our feathered friends. Today I checked the nest to find it bereft of occupancy. It is my fervent hope that the three feathered young ones survived the ordeal that is early development and survived, thrived and went forth to prosper in a hard and unpredictable world. I can find no evidence to the contrary. 


Last Photo: Babies Waxing Fat. Note The Glorious Plumage


No comments:

Post a Comment