Thursday 17 March 2022

Pugio



I thought I would have a 'change of pace' for this post and leave theology and science for another day. I haven't been particularly productive of late as my health has been indifferent. There is a bright spot, however. Two weeks ago I had an appointment with my doctor concerning the seizure I suffered in late November of last year. At the time my driving licence was revoked and as I live in a rural area devoid of public transport this has proved to be a major pain. Anyway, the doc reckons, after reviewing the variety of results from a battery of tests, that my subsequent risk of having a further seizure is low and therefore my licence will be reinstated in late May. Good news indeed.

So today I'm dealing with an element of ancient military equipment that has seen scant regard from modern historical pundits. Several years ago I produced a post about the famous/infamous Roman sword, the gladius. Together with the scutum and the pilum, the gladius completed the triad of military equipment that became synonymous with the military power and fighting prowess of the Roman legion. In addition to these weapons, the Roman legionnaire sported a secondary sidearm, the pugio, or Roman dagger.

Like the gladius, the pugio is thought to have originated from the Iberian peninsular and adapted for Roman military use during the Spanish campaign in the Second Punic War. Also, like the early gladius, the pugio excelled as a stabbing weapon and possibly reflected the fighting characteristics of Rome's enemies of the later era of the Republic. The main enemies from this period were the Greeks and Carthaginians. These 'civilised' opponents relied heavily on armour for defence and an effective stabbing weapon was required to pierce metal and leather breastplates. Interestingly, the gladius changed its geometry in later years when the Romans were confronted by Celtic and Germanic folks who were mostly devoid of armour. The modified gladius become a more effective slashing weapon.

Like most dedicated fighting knives, the pugio came with a double edge making it ideal for close fighting. The pugio came in various forms and sizes and varied from about 7 to 11 inches in length and 2 inches in width. Most would be considered as 'leaf shaped' in form, although this is not uniformly the case. The sheath came available in various patterns. Usually, they were comprised of iron with an internal lining of wood, to protect the edge whilst sheathed.

Although, its form is obviously suited for its role as a fighting knife it has been suggested that it was used as a general use knife for everyday mundane activities, such as scratching an itch or paring a particularly succulent piece of fruit. However, anyone familiar with knives, various, will note that the overall geometry of the knife and its relatively large size makes it unsuitable as a utility utensil. The possession of the Pugio also conveyed/conferred an air of elevated status and marked the wearer as a military man. And to support this view the hilt was often decorated and personalised with, copper, tin and even silver adornments.

Enough of this. On an unrelated note: I purchased an electric scooter, or as my lovely family refer to it- 'Pop's spakka mobile'. How very quaint. I managed to buy this item second hand, although it is only a few months old. As I'm unable to drive it gives me the option of travelling into town on my own steam. It whips along at a reasonable speed and goes for 15 km before requiring a recharge. And it's quite fun to ride. That will do for the short commute to town and make me less reliant on my family for car rides.

I need to force myself to compose, at the moment, as I'm experiencing one of my periodic, desponds or 'Black Dog'. Never mind. I have a very supportive family and with their help, I will 'come right'. So bear with me if my content for the next week or so becomes sparse and erratic in content. Whoop, whoop.    

6 comments:

  1. God have mercy on you. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lucky man.
    You have family. You live in a nice place in a nice country. You have varied interests. You still have your wits about you.
    And luckily for me, you pen (key?) interesting and humorous stuff.
    Throw that Black Dog a ball to keep him off your back.
    And talking of Black Dogs, do something for the old country. Sign our petition to keep a 17th Century pub, The Black Bitch, from having its name changed by some woke Sassenach company, Greene King, guilt tripping because they were founded by a slave trader.
    Search for Linlithgow Black Bitch name change.
    An antipodean vote from The Land Of The Long White Cloud will show them.
    And it is a nice pub. Dog friendly, appropriately enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Sir, I am well 'blessed'. As you know Mr D this sort of pandering to the wanky woke brigade gets right up my Arse, big fat Arse. I will deem it an honour to save the bitch- chivalrous bugger that I am.

      Delete
    2. Woof. - Woof, woof, ruff.
      Doggie for "Fair fa your honest sonsie face, great chieftain o' the bloggin' race. "

      Delete
  3. Hi Flaxen!
    Black dog is no fun at all. I have regular fights with one. Haven't lost yet though. Been a couple of close run things though. I too have a driving issue, I have to apply for a new 'Medical Review' driving licence. It was fouund just before Xmas, that I was probably diabetic, My HbA1c was a tad high. 145. I have had to notify DVLA and they have just sent me the forms.
    I have received my diagnosis, I am practically unique, in as much as I am T1 not T2. Unusual for someone of my age 61. The real pain is having to do due-diligence tests befor driving, and every two hours whilst driving.

    The pugio. The Romans certainly knew how to make a deadly device look damned attractive and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, our health does not improve as we age! I will, according to the doc, be able to drive again in late May.

      Delete